Augmented Reality Snap! Extension
Áreas de especialidade
Sistemas de Informação
Engenharia de Software
Local do Estágio
In the context of the MosaicoLab initiative (http://www.mosaicolab.pt/) we are developing various digital tools for the exploration of the roman mosaic cultural heritage of the region.
One such tool is an adaptation of the Snap! programming language (derived from the Scratch language) for kids (https://snap.berkeley.edu/) that will allow the programming of mosaic geometric patterns. In this project, we wish to explore the possibility of visualising and interacting with the resulting programs via an AR (Augmented Reality) component that will run on a mobile device.
The main objective of this project is to develop an extension to the Snap! programming language that allows a real-time visualization of the Snap! program running on the desktop computer. In addition, we wish to explore how interactions on the AR component can be included in the programming environment. We also want to explore and create demonstrators of specific use-cases for the Snap! AR combination.
- Create an online version of Snap! that allows creating and saving Snap! Projects
- Create an extension for AR based visualization of Snap! program running on the desktop. This includes proposing and implementing solutions for:
-- Associating a project with a specific AR target
-- Defining how to pair both devices (desktop and mobile)
-- Defining a communications architecture (what information will be transmitted between the desktop and mobile devices, and how). This communication architecture should be flexible and usable outside the AR scenario - it should be developed as a generic way of visualizing a Snap! program outside of the desktop running the program.
-- Define what interactions are supported in the AR view and how users can program them in Snap!
- Evaluate the resulting system (users feedback regarding the system’s implementation, how easy it is to visualize the program in the AR view, how easy it is to include interactions in the AR view, etc.)
- Create demonstration scenarios for the various features of the AR extension
Plano de Trabalhos - Semestre 1
- Study the Snap! language including how it is programmed and how extensions can be created
- Study the current implementation of the Mosaico extension for Snap!
- Implement project saving functionality
- Define the communications architecture for the AR extension
Plano de Trabalhos - Semestre 2
- Implement the AR component
- Write demo applications / content
- Evaluate the resulting system with different kinds of users
- Write scientific paper about results
- Write report
O trabalho irá ser realizado no Departamento de Engenharia Informática da Universidade de Coimbra e será facultado o acesso a equipamento móvel.
- Required student profile
- References and conferences
Jorge Carlos dos Santos Cardoso, Maria José Marcelino